[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) stupid question

<<
 Hi all, suddenly got an unplanned chance to go out and observe for a while
 last nite. Was rather unprepared, information wise.
 I saw 33 meteors in the hour between 0315 abd 0415 local time.(Pacific)
 Was observing fron near Lake Elsinore Ca.,USA. continued observing for
another
 full hour, but sleepyness and morning twilite did us in.
 During That first hour, the majority of meteors seemed to be eminating from a
 central point, directly overhead, travelling outwards in all directions. <<

Perhaps you were noticing Perseid activity during this time? Also radiants
from the southern areas should be kicking in along with sporadics.

>>Sorry
 to not do my own research, but what azmuth should I observe to best see this
 shower,<<

With a lot of activity going on in the south, you might want to face in a
roughly SouthEasterly direction?

 >>and what time in the evening should the radiant rise to about 30
 degrees above the horizon? <<

There are several radiants active now. Generally you might want to start
around 11 pm where activity will be on the increase. If you start earlier, a
beginner might not see enough activity to hold their interest? Look for
meteors coming from the various radiants. As a guide I have the RA and Dec for
the following showers for July 25...which should be close to where they will
be at tonight. Find these on a star chart and get a 2 foot long cord to align
on a meteor  and see if they line up with any of the below listed radiant
positions and keep a record...along with LM and times.

S. Delta Aquarids = RA 22h 32m   Dec -31
N. Delta Aquarids = RA 21h 36m   Dec -9
alpha Capricornids = RA 20h08m   Dec -11
Perseids =  RA 1h24m  Dec  +55
S. Iota Aquarids = 21h40m  Dec -17
Piscis Austrinids = 22h32m  Dec -31

>>I plan to try to go out again tonight, and would
 like to be a little better prepared. Most of the meteors seen seemed
relativly
 fast in my limited expierence<<

If they seem very fast and align up with the Perseid radiant...count them as
Perseids.
If they seem slightly slower and align up with the other radiants, count them
as one of the Aquaird radiants.
If they seem Slow and align up with the alpha  Capricornid radiant...count it
as a Capricornid.

 >>Saw a few nice bright ones with persistant
 trains, lasting 2-3 seconds... The best of the nite tho, was while setting
up,
 at aproxx 3:15 local.. a simultanious pair, about 15-20 degrees apart,
 absoloutly parrellel, about mag 0 or -1 Directly overhead.
                                                                   Don
Barnett<<

Most likely Perseids or sporadics.

George Zay