[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Questions

<<
 Kim>>3) One more. I had a slow moving meteor, bright , mag2 coming from
 the south to the Northwest direction. If traced back it was coming
 from Aquarius. Since I do not quite understand the N/S Aquairds,
 which one does anyone think that this meteor belonged to.
 Thats it for now
 Kim<<

 The N. Delta Aquarid and the S. Delta Aquarid radiants are fairly far apart.
 You should look up where the radiant is in the sky prior to observing to make
 that determination. If you are plotting, you can do this later. Then with a
 ruler you can measure back and see which radiant your meteor will pass the
 closest to. If within reason, chose the closest one. However you will find
 some meteors that could be lined up thru both radiants. When this happens, I
 automatically count it as a S. Delta Aquarid if its near their peak. Or a N.
 Delta Aquarid if it's near it's peak nite. Its' pretty much a judgement call
 that you will have to chose one or the other. It's probably apparent that
it's
 not a sporadic, so you will have to chose one and that's the process I use.
George Zay

I just noticed after mailing my post that you mentioned it was a slow moving
meteor in the beginning of your question. In this case, it's probably not
either a North or south delta aquarid, but could be an alpha Capricornid if it
aligns with that radiant. If it's not relatively close to the capricornid
radiant, I would call this meteor a sporadic.
George Zay