[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations 24 and 25 th July.

Hi All.

I've  just returned from a trip to a location in Victoria called 'Wilsons Promontory'  It is a national park of about 50,000
Hectares in size on the South cost of the state.  Apart from the beautiful mountain range and rugged coastline which makes up a
large part of the scenery, the sky is terrific too.

Me and the family stayed in cabins near the park office at place called 'Tidal River'.  The location is about 200 SE from
Melbourne with no light pollution at all.

The first night of my trip was cloudy, the second night was not to bad and I was able to observe for 1.5 hours in the morning.
The third night was the best night, clear form sunset until when I finished observing.  I was able to observe for 5.5 hours from
the evening into the morning.  I plotted for the first 2 hours with 12 being plotted then visually monitored the Alpha Caps and N
+ S Delta Aquarid radiants and the Piscid Austrinids.

Listed below are the details of the hours:

Date   Time(AEST)    LM     Teff       Dir       SDA    NDA     CAP     PisAus     SPO     TOT
24/7    02.00-03.00     +6.8      0.91       NE         3           1             0             0             21         25
24/7    03.00-03.30     +6.8      0.45       NE         0           1             1             1              8          11
24/7    19.35-20.35     +6.7      0.90     NNW      -            -              -             -              10         10
24/7    20.35-21.35     +6.8      0.82     NNW      -            -              -             -              10         10
24/7    21.35-22.35     +6.8      0.91     NNW      1           0             2             -              12         15
25/7    23.20-00.20     +6.7      0.90       NE         1           1             4             1             17         24
25/7    00.20-01.20     +6.6      0.93       NE         2           0             0             0             20         22
25/7    01.20-01.50     +6.6      0.42       NE         2           2             0             2              8          14

A total of 26 stream meteors were observed from 131 meteors seem in 6.24 h teff.  There was some activity form all the streams
observed above, The South Delta Aquarids showing the most activity.

I was unable to observe after this due to cloudy weather.

I am hoping to get out tonight for the maximum of the South Delta Aquarids.  There should be alot of activity with this stream at
max and the Piscid Austrinids and Alpha Caps near max too.

I may have a report on the SDA's tomorrow, bye for now.

Adam Marsh, ASV Meteor Section Asst Director.