[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors, Rain and Wrecks

Once again I have been out, this time dodging clouds over the last two
mornings in hopes of catching some Aquarids. A few meteors here and there
between the muck, but nothing in enough detail to make them reportable.

However, this morning was interesting. I decided to give up at about 0400
local time so was heading home. I was observing from a location known as Dog
Swamp, which is a remote site in the Francis Marion National Forest. On the
way home, I encountered an automobile wreck being worked by a Forest Service
park ranger. I stopped to lend some assistance (I am a National Park Service
ranger) and from a discussion with him afterwards, found out about a
potential new observing spot.

They are doing some repair work to it at the moment, removing trees, etc.
but it should be completed soon. So I drove up there this morning. I
couldn't tell about the skies but it looks pretty good. It is a Forest
Service campground located right on the Atlantic Ocean. There are a couple
trees that may block a small portion of the horizon, but the site looks
useable. The best part though, is these sites have electrical hookups. So
this will be an asset during those frigid 32o F South Carolina nights! ;)

To Terry Richardson: this site should be ideal to power up your equipment. I
will contact you about setting up a trip.

-Mark Davis