[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors, Rain and Wrecks

At 07:28 AM 07/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>..dot it is a Forest
>Service campground located right on the Atlantic Ocean. There are a couple
>trees that may block a small portion of the horizon, but the site looks
>useable. The best part though, is these sites have electrical hookups. So
>this will be an asset during those frigid 32o F South Carolina nights! ;)
>

>To Terry Richardson: this site should be ideal to power up your equipment. I
>will contact you about setting up a trip.

Mark: you shudda kept it's very existance under your hat: HERE COMES DE WORLD!

Seriously, it would sure be nice to find just ONE such spot,
horizon-limited or not, accessible overnight in New England. Private
property is out of the question; people call the cops if they even see a
strange animal out there at night around here. Every one of the national,
and especially the state parks in Massachusetts, seem to close at dusk for
fear of a lawsuit by some drunk running off the road in the dark,
especially during the snowy/icy winter. Makes me wonder what they do with
the taxpayer's money during the winter. One local mountaintop with a very
nice road right to the top is even closed down during the winter months
altogether just because a private ski lodge runs its runs from the top of
the mountain down the side and across the road a couple of times. While I
won't begrudge skiers their right to ski mountains, it really bothers me,
as a non-skier, to lose the use of this mountain 75% of the year (non-skier
can only use it during daylight during the summer and during neither day
nor night during the winter; that's 25% accessibility in my book!).

To be fair, I have to admit that the mountain is supposed to be available
to hikers all the time, winter or summer, day or night; but who's going to
hike up the side of a snowy 3000 foot hill during a cold winter night just
to do a couple hours of observation in snow and icy wind at the top,
backpacking your equipment all the way?

Anybody know of any decent observation spots within driving distance of
central Mass?

Clear skies,

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA