[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Observations July 27/28 ZAYGE

Got lucky last night in the way of clear skies...not a cloud in sight. Anyhow,
Bob and I observed from the Descanso Observatory. I observed a Teff of just a
little over 6 hours under approximately 6.0 skies. I did the Counting method
using my tape recorder. I must have checked that thing to see if everything
was recording right about every 5 minutes. Still a little gun shy from losing
a nights worth during last years perseids. Anyhow, I had no problems with the
recorder. I recorded 95 meteors total. The break down is as follows:  6
Perseids, 28 S. Delta Aquarids, 7 N. Delta Aquarids, 3 S. Iota Aquarids, 3
Piscis Austrinids, 10 Capricornids and 38 sporadics. The S. Delta Aquarid
activity wasn't as high as I was expecting. There were some good moments and
then dead moments. I was a little surprised about the good alpha Capricornid
activity. The two brightest meteors for the night both Capricornids. One was a
-5 and the other a -4. I'm fairly confident that I caught the
-4 on film....but still holding my breath until I develop the film.

Still planning on going again tonight if the weather holds up.
George Zay