[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors, butterflies and wildflowers

Now that was a sweet memoir about your observing at the new spot, Gregg! Do you
also listen for bird calls, by the way? I've counted upward of 30 voices some
early mornings in the woods - quite a thrill after a crisp, quiet night of sky
watching! And best of all, you can enjoy their beauty without ever lifting your
eyes off the pearly sky. :)))

Now which "prairie" areas do y'all enjoy down there? I visit some friends up
East Central Ohio pretty frequently, and was actually born in North Central O.
myself. Haven't ever had a chance to explore down south much, though, except
for a few drives among the "hollers" of Southeast OH. I'd love to hear about
good spots down there for hiking, communing, etc.! :)

By the way, thanks also for tabulating your meteor data. Just a warning, that
it often won't usually line up unless you use pure spaces instead of tabs (a
tough trick in some PC mailers!) It was readable anyway.

More important, keep in mind that all that "data" won't mean much to anybody
but you, unless you can take a little extra time to estimate your Limiting
Magnitudes more accurately. (I know Gregg already knows this, but for the
benefit of folks who MAY want to start logging analyzable data, I figured I'd
go into it anyway).

If you'd rather not use the IMO LM method, that's your prerogative. But because
the number of meteors you'll catch at any given magnitude is *VERY* dependent
on your LM (and pretty much all meteor observers IMO and non-IMO alike agree on
that), none of us will ever have a good idea the details of what you saw
without that one piece of calibrating data.

Anyway, Gregg, keep sending us those enjoyable, readable "Meteor Memories",
with or without the tables!

Take care, and good luck for more clear skies in Adams County!
Lew Gramer