[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Thanks for the answers

<< Kim Question: When all the plots are sent in, and who ever is the keeper
 of the final copies, have they ever put these into a computer or
 overlaid them, to see if different people seen the same meteor on the
 same path and course?  Is there a way to scan them in and lay them on
 top of one another?<<

Mark: Although the above is possible, I am not aware of anyone having done
that.
 Here in N. America Bob and George do a lot of simultaneous plotting out
 there and I know the DMS folks do some together. But I have not heard of a
 comparison being done. >>

Well isn't it true that any distance between observers has the meteor path
looking different?  I think I remember when my last club did  half-a$$ed
meteor observing that we did a 2 station ( 20km apart (?) ) photograph
session. The 2 sites were conected via ham-radio and we knew right away when
we both captured a bright Lyrid in the frame. When the photos were comparedthe
angles were different. So IMHO I think you would just get a big headache
trying to decipher which meteors were the same.

Also I don't think that any of us are close enough to each other - Bob L. and
George are together, Wayne and I are together, and a few groups of the Euro
observers, no one else talks about group observing. So I assume the rest of us
are scattered singly.  I think the only chance in NA would be the Great White
North people. That is, if their observing sites are relatively close together.
I forget, but I think there's a limit on how far away each station could be.

Kevin