[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) July 31/Aug 1 observation

Hello,

I went out again last night (31/Aug 1) for around 5 hours teff meteor
observing. A bunch of us drove down to a different location deeper
south-west of Ottawa. I set up my chair while everyone else were busy
with scopes. My limiting magnitude was about 6.5 under clear skies.
This site has darker skies with better contrast when looking lower
toward horizon. Unfortunately, the location is poor and unsafe as
cars in the evening occasionally drive right beside us. We got a bit
scared once when a car, apparently drunk sped on the gravel road
straight for us with his bright headlights in our eyes. He then turned
without causing problems. The site is also a hefty drive from my home.

As for meteors, some really good activity all night. The SDA and PER
were the most active showers. Most other minor showers produced some
form of low activity. Only a couple of Alpha Caps seen. Sporadics
rates seemed very good and steady.

The highlights were one sporadic of mag.-2 that travelled swiftly an
amazing 60 degree lenght! Also, one very slow, yellow Alpha cap that
lasted about 4 seconds, flaring to mag.-1. Another interesting point
is the "double" or simultaneous meteors I was seeing again last night.
For example, I happened to stare at the southern complex of radiants
when all of a sudden, 2 short SDA going different directions appear
at the very same time. This happened quite a few times but did
not always involve SDA.

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *