[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Here I AM!

Hello all,

For what it's worth...... I'm a seventy-one year old man.  (Good Lord!) I
became interested in the sky during my service on a destroyer in WW II and even
more so after I married the farmer's daughter in '48 and often drove a tractor
in the fields at night.  Talk about seeing....My ship was blacked out, and the
farm fields were dark.  I could see all seven of the Seven Sisters back then;
now it looks as if the full moon is going soon to be difficult, as my eyesight
fails!

I bought myself a four+ inch reflector, in the '50s, but soon learned that I
wasn't interested in looking for what couldn't be seen anyway.  So I went back
to meteors.

Now for a question: Back in 1942 I was on my back on the bottom of a fishing
boat watching the sky when a meteor went past directly over my head.  It left a
streak which was wider than a full moon! It seemed to me that I could hear its,
"Swishsssuuugh!" sound.  I have wondered all these years if I really heard it,
or just "filled in" the sound with my imagination.  If anyone has any thoughts
on this, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks much,
Grandpa Jack Spencer