[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) July 29 Observations

<<
 > If I listed it as an Iota Capricornid, I meant to say it was a South Iota
 > Aquarid. I felt that it was related to this radiant because it was brighter
(a
 > -3 or -4) and was able to last a little longer than a dimmer meteor. It
also
 > had what I refer to as a foreshortening look to it.
 > George Zay

Lew>> Hi, George - finally got around to reading this one. What exactly is a
 "foreshortened look" for a meteor? I'm wondering if I've ever seen one...

Lew,
What I call the "foreshortened look" is a short meteor that appears near a
radiant with the trail often appearing puffed up or thicker or stubby.  It
also will seem slower than what a shower member to the radiant would appear
further away from the radiant. I also get the sense that it's apparent speed
is accelerating rather than a steady velocity.
George Zay