[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Limiting Magnitude

> In a message dated 98-08-10 06:14:08 EDT, Kevin Kilkenny writes:
> We had quite a thread on this topic a year or more ago...
> According to the criteria of the way data is collected - an LM of 5.0 is the
> bottom accepted level. Although some people have submitted reports with LM's
> of below 5.0 - I personally don't and won't.
> Kevin

I don't recall that one, Kevin... Might be worth going back and looking at on the archive (YUP! It's at http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs :>). I recall a question as to whether moonlit nights were worth reporting if the observer DID achieve LMs of 5.0 or better (as some folks from some sites do). The final consensus seemed to be "Yes, report what you see, since it IS useful IF your LM is 5.0 or better - but don't expect to see much!")

But one thing is clear:  REGARDLESS of the moon's phase OR your LMs, IMO is always happy to accept data from nights close to a major shower peak, e.g., nights like August 10, 11, 12, 13, or November 15, 16, 17, 18 in 1999(!). This is stated in the IMO Manual, and frequently by folks on this list.

Now to the extent you can get to a real dark site and actually manage LM 5.0 or better near a full moon max night, so much the BETTER! :)

Clear skies,
Lew