[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Storms

This year we expect a particularly spectacular display from the Leonids
over N E Asia.

While we are aware of the potential threat to spacecraft through impact,
what will be the effects on Earth-based radio communication, air traffic
control, etc?  The shower in effects creates a highly reflective blanket in
the upper atmosphere.  Surely ghosting and other strange effects are
possible?  Will this be disruptive or potentially confusing and therefore
hazardous... or will the effects be negligible.

Any comments or references to look up please.

John Hodges
The Orbital Mechanics Educational Network
email:            omen@primex.codot uk
homepages:   http://homepages.primex.codot uk/~omen