[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation Aug. 11/12 98

Hello,

Just went out last night to observe about 1.5 hours before dawn.
Before that time, a large, scattered cirro-cumulus cloud decided
to park itself right on top. preventing me from doing any useful
data count.

Anyway, for the 1.5 hour clear sky I finally got, my limiting
magnitude reached a surprising 5.4 for a brief time in my
suburban backyard. The transparency became very good once
everything cleared up. For this session, I centered my field
facing north, looking 70 degrees up.

I mounted an umbrella on my camera tripod and indeed, it worked
nicely to keep the glare of the moon out of my eyes. I did not
have any problems with obstructions. Thanks George for this tip!

Saw a handful of Perseids, a display quite similar to a good
Orionid shower. Quite a few bright meteors with brightest ones
at magnitude -2. No serious fireballs to report. A couple Perseids
produced 30 degree paths. Trains were quite difficult to see with
the bright sky. Most trains were 1 second duration and less.
Besides Perseids, I saw a slow, magnitude -1 Alpha Capricornid in
the west and a few sporadics. One sporadic shot swiftly from the
east, over a long 30 degree path and left a 2 second train. The train
dissipated in 2 parts before vanishing completely.

I'll report some exact numbers once the tape is decoded. Now, as the
weather forecast is quite promising, I can look forward to going out
tonight, quite possibly at my darker sky site.

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *