[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Perseid meteor shower (Which direction?)

>What direction should I be to observe the
>meteor shower? (North, south, east, west?)

Patricia (and list): Like all meteor showers, the Perseids will appear to occur
ALL over the sky... Opinions differ slightly on this, but the general consensus
is that no one area of the sky is clearly better than another.

As a result, you'll want to watch the part of the sky which is DARKEST, in
order to see the most meteors: in other words, the part of the sky furthest
from the moon tonight, and/or furthest from ANY manmade light sources.

So face away from the moon, MAXIMIZE the amount of open sky you can see, and
watch for a good stretch of time (15 minutes to an hour!) And if you're
disappointed with the show tonight, then try watching the Leonids in November,
Geminids in December, or the dark-sky Perseids of August, 1999! :)

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@latrade.com>