[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observer Perception

-----Original Message-----
From: Lew Gramer <dedalus@latrade.com>
Date: Wednesday, 12 August 1998 5:06
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Observer Perception

>>A little while back there was a short thread on Observer Perception.
>>What I want to know, is there any reliable (or near reliable) formula
>>for calculating observers perception ?  It would be handy to be able
>>to calc it for different observers in a group, say if your monitoring
>>a stream and you have 4-5 observers, it makes the results easier to
>>work with and more valid.
>>
>>Thanks in advance, Adam.
>

>Did anyone ever answer Adam's question about this?
>
>Lew

Hi Lew and list.

I received some answers to the question but if anyone has more information on the topic it would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't been very active with the list lately.  My youngest daughter, Jacqueline - 9 mths old, has been quiet ill (2 viral
infections - respiratory) and has been in the hospital on a drip for dehydration.  She is a little better the last day and a half
so I have been able to find a little time to read through some of my e-mails.  With any luck she will be ok soon so everything
will be back to normal.

One other comment on the moonlight observing.  I have found observing from a moderately dark sky is ok and the drive to a very
dark sky isn't worth it.  I your sky without the full moon is around 6.3 - 6.5, driving another 100 kms or whatever won't improve
conditions (maybe only a very little).  Sure, it is a valid point that if your LM without the moon is around 5 or so, you will
suffer greatly  and have a very low LM with the moon.  It is something each observer has to weigh up themselves.

Bye for now, Adam Marsh, ASV Meteor Section Asst Director.