[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseids for 1998

                                 Perseids for 1998

Had a clear night on the morning of the 12th starting at 06:00 until 08:30 UT. So
I got 2 hours 30 min. of teff
between some periods of clouds but the sky was generally very clear. I observed in
the backyard of my house in Sainte-Foy a suburb of Quebec city.

I saw only 9 Perseids and one sporadic. LM was about  4.3, and near 25 % of my
field was obstructed by trees.

This was my 32 years of observing the Perseids. From my experience of observing
that shower with the moon near full,
I will say that the night of august 11/12 1998 was a very poor one. I remember
seeing in those past years at least 30 Perseids per hour with the full moon.

I observed also the Perseids on August 3/4 and August 4/5 this year,  from a very
dark location on Mount Megantic in the province of Quebec. LM was at least 7.0
when the moon was set. So I did have excellent very dark sky whith no light
pollution on these two dates. I have not yet decoded my observation, but I can
tell that it was below average for the Perseids on those dates.

The sky here is clear and I plan to observe again tonigth as soon as the sky get
dark. I remember of two years when observing more than 50 meteors during one hour
between 11:00 and midnight local time. So it could be interesting and awarding to
observe before midnight in my latitude (47 degrees north) because the radiant is
up sooner.

Hope tonight will be a better one.

Gaetan Chevalier

Follow-Ups: References: