[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observations Aug 11/12

Hi Wayne (but you did sign "Yawne"...very appropriate),

Sorry no details. Conditions so poor I didn't even note try recording and was taken by
surprise by that bright one.  Its source was blocked by a large tree but was somewhere
in the west or NW near Draco.  Blazed horizontally at about 60/70 degrees elev.
towards Cassiopia but burnt out about due north below Polaris.  Wide white train with
pink/red "smokey" emissions lasted a second or two.  Fast meteor.  One of the best
visuals I've ever seen.

"I didn't know they could look like that", said my wife who's used to seeing the dim
ones here in our light-smeared sky or even worse, my meteorite collection here in the
kitchen<g>.  "You paid how much for that speck of moon rock???", she grumbles when our
skies are clouded out.

And of course we saw a half dozen or so ho-hum perseids over a couple hours of peeking
round clouds, ground haze and the neighbor's security light which bounces well off
that haze. And 2 or 3 bats and one owl who glided right thru our field of view.
Anyone else have a problem with low flying bats?  They sure make concentration
difficult.

Sky looks a little better tonite so will try again.
Good luck to all,

Fred Mason & Amy Shelton
Atlantic Community College
Mays Landing  New Jersey
capnjeep@worldnet.attdot net

Wayne T Hally wrote:

> Fred,
>         Have you got the details on that meteor? One of the few meteors I saw that
> pushed through the awful haze and low level moisture was a nice one before
> midnight, moving straight up from the horizon. Despite the fact that it is
> the only meteor I recorded data on, I still haven't checked the tape yet,
> so I'll have time later. I did see a hnadful of Perseids after I stopped
> recording data...probably 4 in 2 hours. What a yucky night!

Follow-Ups: References: