[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Storms

> Subject:       Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Storms

Hi Fred!!

>      My name is Fred, too and it is my first night on this list.  I was

Welcome to the list, glad you could make it.

> in Dorothy NJ off of 557 on a side road.  I watched from 0100 to about
> 0145 and saw about 5 good ones out of Pegasus and several smaller,
> quicker ones straight overhead. The moon was a pain but I saw enough to

Thats great news. Obviously you did not have to deal with any cars
passing by.

> be happy.  Had a good view of Saturn and Jupiter. Then the clouds came
> in, so I left. I'm not well versed on the technical terms, yet but I'm
> certainly going to give it a try.

You did just fine. Yes Saturn  & Jupiter were nice. On the evening of
Aug 11/12 Jupiter was 3.1 degrees from the moon and Saturn is 2
degrees from the moon on Aug 12/13. In fact when I stopped by my
Dad's yesterday he was asking what star that was before the moon. I
gently told him it was a planet and it was Jupiter. He thought that
was quite interesting. I am slowly getting him interested in the
night sky. He combs out the newspapers for me for stories, then asks
if I have seen the newest astronomical event when it shows up in the
paper.

A good thing on the day of Aug 11/12, I had my scope setup in the
park with the solar filter on, and was trying to check out the
sunspots before the clouds rolled in , again, and there was a group
of kids from a camp around the area.  Well, next thing I knew there
were 3 little boys around age 9, wondering what I was doing and
looking at. So I showed them, and told them the procedure at looking
at the sun and explained what they are seeing, and what the spots
might do if intense enough, and they all thought it was neat.

I then had a return visitor and he wanted to look again. He looked at
my log book and my drawings and wondered if I did this as a
profession, but no I said  I am an amatuer astronomer, but that he
could be come one as well. Just go out in the back yard with your
eyes or bino's if he had them and look up and study the sky.

Well, he had to leave, but he was sure interested.

I know I sort of side tracked here, but I think it is so good when a
child becomes excited and would like to do more.

>      I'll try again, maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Good for you.  I am hoping to get out again tonight, if the clouds
will cooperated and stay away : )

Kim
Moonlight Cascade Observatory/BBS
44.28.28.9N 76.29.45.9W
Astronomy-RASC,SARA,ALPO/AAVSO-Solar Section
NAMN-Meteor Observing,Ham Radio-VA3KDH