[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) radio detection

Sri, I know little about radiometeors, but I do know they are most commonly
detected because the ionized trail of particles they leave in our atmosphere
can reflect radio ground signals back to the ground. The frequencies most
commonly monitored for this reflection by amateurs are in the 40 to 150 MHz
range (source: George Zay), which includes TV and FM bands.

As to whether the meteor entry burns themselves generate radio waves, or
whether the "electrophonics" produced by the ion trail's interaction with
earth's magnetic field is real or not, I couldn't say.

Can someone with more experience and knowledge answer Sri's question?

Clear (and static-free) skies,
Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: