[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations Aug 12/13 ZAYGE

I was able to observe for most of the night last night with a Teff of about
5.0 hours. For the first 2.5 hours had an LM of about 6.0. After the moon made
it's grand entrance, my LM became 5.3 for the remainder of my observations.
Activity seemed quite slow to me, although I do have a low LM to work with.
For the entire observing session I recorded 42 meteors total. This broke down
to 29 Perseids, 4 Kappa Cygnids and 10 sporadics. I only recorded Perseids and
Kappa Cygnids last night. All the other shower activity I listed as sporadics
this time. I was in an awkward position to keep tabs adequately of what was
going on behind me so I made them sporadics. It didn't seem like a whole heck
of a lot of bright stuff was coming from that direction any ways. During my
2.5 hours with 6.0 LM prior to midnight, I recorded 12 perseids with 7 being
+4's. Seems like there might have been a predominance of dimmer meteors out?
If this kept up after my LM dropped to 5.3 when the moon came up, could
account for my seeing low numbers of Perseids? Anyhow, clouds started rolling
in intermittently after the moon rose causing me to stop for 15 minutes each
time after observing about an hour each time. Very obliging of them. The
brightest were a -5 Perseid which I have an outside chance of catching on film
and a -3 Perseid which I have three chances of catching  on film...that is
Fat, Slim and None. It was way out of range of any of the cameras. I ended my
observations due to an extensive cloud build up at 3h22 Local. That will be
the end of my meteor observations until next week. Hopefully this humidity
will dissipate so that I can complain about something else?  ( :(i) Doh!
George Zay