[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) radio detection

The best article I have seen is in the December 1985 issue of Sky and
Telescope magazine pgs 623-625. It has a good discussion of the mechanism
of radio energy formation by the meteor plasma trail and info on building a
receiving device as I described. It refers mostly to VLF 1-10Khz but ELF
down to 1-60Hz has also been detected.
Another source is Scientific American May 1996 and Nature vol 254 Apr 3 1975.
While the recording of the radio noise is rather simple the mechanism of
audible sound production is still debated.
Dale

At 12:14 PM 8/13/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks for jumping in on that one, Dale. And glad to final hear of definite
>confirmation of the electrophonic effect! I've observed it twice myself, and
>have heard many observers mention it. But there are a few folks, including
some
>quite prominent on our list, who have NOT observed it themselves and
therefore
>dismissed it as a "psychological effect".
>
>BTW, I was amazed to hear that the detection of VLF from meteors was so
simple!
>What other data about the meteor can amateurs derive from this setup,
besides
>just the frequency of emission?
>
>Clear skies,
>Lew

Dale Ireland  47.7N 122.7W
Astronomy Page http://www.drdale.com
Comets, Eclipses, Photography, Fabrications