[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re:bright little star

Hi, Bill:

Maybe what you saw was Saturn, only about 3 or 4 degrees from the moon
on the night of the 12/13th.  It's about magnitude 1.8, though, somewhat
dimmer than Capella.  I usually see it as creamy colored rather than
blue-white.  Maybe the brightness of the moon makes planetary color and
magnitude hard to judge.  Other, less likely, choices could be Jupiter
(about 30 degrees above and to the right of the moon around midnight)
and Fomalhaut in Piscis Austrinus (about 50 degrees to the right of the
moon).  Sounds like Saturn may be the best bet.

Dave