[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observation Aug. 12/13 98

Hi Kim,

>I have not decoded my tape either, but I observed from 1:24 am edt to
>330 am edt.
>
>I have a question about your Persied? Did it line up with Epsilon
>Cass? If so, I seen the same one. I almost fell out of my chair
>again, and I am sure I must have woke up some neighbours.

I'll let you know of the exact time I saw it once the rape is decoded
and see if it is the same one. Might be aligned with Epsilon Cass. The
one I saw was in my south-west, about 60 deg up. It started at perhaps
magnitude 0, travelled swiftly until it flashed, lighting up the
surrounding sky at least as bright as Venus. The train it produced was
the only long duration one I saw out of my 2 nights (lasted 10 seconds).
Most other trains were no more than 1 or 2 sec.

>I seem to find that the activity increases around 3:00 am edt, 7:00
>UT.

A small patch of cirro-cumulus cloud came and parked itself right on top
of me before 3:00 edt. It moved very slowly, almost stationary so I was
forced to pack up. I cant confirm any increased activity before dawn.

>There were defenitely more Persieds on the 12/13 than the 11/12.  My
>limiting magnitude was around 5.9 most of the time, defenitely better
>than the night before which was 5.1 - 5.2.

I agree. One reason for better rates on the 12/13 over NA could be the
possible "new" third peak that was observed last year. This peak is weaker
and broader than the others but may be still significant?

>Kim

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *