[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations: Aug 11/12 and 12/13

I was able to get out for some Perseid watching the last two mornings. Since
I also had to work my normal schedule during the day, I chose to sleep in
the evening, wake up and take off to my new, untried observing site.

The first morning all was ready...gear loaded...coffee made...key in the
ignition....click-click-click....dot dead battery! So I jumped out and pulled
the battery out of my car, installed it in the truck, and tied it to the
frame since it was oversized and not fitting the battery "tray." Since I was
delayed, I chose to skip the drive to the new site in favor of the one
closer to home. All told, not much to report. Had clear skies (F=1.00) and a
LM of around 4.8. Binned all non-Perseid meteors into the sporadics. In
about Teff=2.00 or so, saw only 11 Perseids....no fireballs from any source.
Do not remember well enough to say much about the mag. distribution other
than it seemed about normal. [All data is still on tape, and I have spent
this evening playing "tea party" with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. ;-D  ]

Installed a brand new battery and took off to the new site for the second
morning. And of course, encountered clouds. When I arrived, I had about 50%
blockage which rapidly worsened to 70%, 80% and finally 100% with drizzle.
But I waited and waited....just in case. Ended up with Teff=0.00........the
new site is STILL untested.

Full report will be sent to all the regulars....but it may be a few days
from now.....

Btw, for the NAMN members who are sending, or have sent, their first
observations, let me know if you have any questions, or are having trouble
with the form. This is a good opportunity to work out the kinks before the
"big shows" this fall and winter.

Also, for the new subscribers to the 'meteorobs' list, if you would like
information on the North American Meteor Network, or a copy of our handbook,
contact me at  MeteorObs@charlestondot net

Clear skies everybody!

Mark Davis
South Carolina