[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Animals and Meteors

On thursday night, 13th.  My daughter was awoken at 3:15am by a clanking
noise in the road.  It sounded like a can being kicked or rather dragged
around.  She looked out the window and there was a hedgehog sitting in the
middle of the path with his back leg trapped in a crushed tuna can.

She left the house to rescue the animal, removing the can and examining the
leg, but he seemed ok.  He didn't run off but sat on the path, so she went
and got him some cat food and sat on the step while he ate it.  At 2:21 UT
she saw a Perseid flash across the sky. From towards the SSW.  It lasted
about 3 seconds, was yellow in colour and of maginitude 1 she thinks.

So sometimes animals can be helpful...

Unfortuneately the light pollution in our city is severe and the sky in the
UK are so often cloudy or hazy, obsering is not easy.

John Hodges.

The Orbital Mechanics Educational Network
email:            omen@primex.codot uk
homepages:   http://homepages.primex.codot uk/~omen