[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) hearing meteors impacting the atmosphere

There may be something to hearing meteors impacting the atmosphere
using a corregated tube. I was at a hardware store the other day, and
saw some 3/4 inch corregated plastic elctric conduit for about $.30 a
foot, so I bought 40 feet of it. I hung it near vertical from my TV
antenna. I had to cut 4 feet off. I did not have a microphone, so I put
a speaker facing up at the end of the tube. I ran wire the fifty feet
inside, and hooked it to the phono jack of my stereo. I have to turn the
stereo up almost all the way. I was out looking up, and I saw a nice
yellow meteor go right over the house. I went inside and saw it was
1:07. At 1:11 a boom came from my speakers. There was a secondery boom
many seconds later.
     The theory is that the corregations cause eddies in the tube which
convert the below 20 Htz sound waves into higher frequencies that can be
heard. The low frequency sound waves travel a lot farther than higher
frequencies.
     I will post again when I have more credible evidence.
     Airplanes and jets cause sort of a rumble.