[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteors and animals

>>George, if you or Lunsford leave the observatory in the dark due to clouded
conditions, I hope you two have a bright light with you; that might help
confuse the animal long enough to get in the cars. After all, you don't
really need your starlight vision by then.<<

It's a thought. But for the most part I feel secure.

>>We don't want to hear or read of some kind of "accident" occurring to you
guys; take more-than-sufficient precautions, please. And don't let
yourselves get into a rut; the animals can learn your patterns and figure a
way to take advantage.<<

Well....thanks for the concern. We usually stay within about 20 feet of the
observatory all night and the field around us is relatively clear. The sheep
wander the field all night eating mostly. If anybody or anything comes along,
they will start making sheep noises. There is also a very alert guard dog at
the house that barks quite a bit when it thinks it hears something? Though the
biggest intruder is usually a few racoons trying to remove the lid from her
dog food storage container. There has been times in the past that I have
walked the field in the dark with a machete in my hand...not that it would do
any good...but made me feel better at the time. :o) This reminds me of a story
that my wife told me about an old woman friend of hers that occurred about 3
or 4 years ago. My wife is a fanatical back packer and hikes and camps about
two weekends per month on average. I sometimes go with her, but she often uses
me for a two legged mule when I do. So I tend to avoid most of her hikes when
able. But on some occasions I end up at a good high altitude observing
location. Anyhow, This older lady hiking friend of hers was out for a day hike
by herself not too far from where I observe. She is a very experienced hiker.
Suddenly on the trail this large mountain lion jumped out about 10 feet in
front of her. It just sat there staring at her. She did the old lady "Shoo"
routine and that didn't work. She yelled at it...didn't work. She blew her
whistle real loud...still didn't work. She then took her hiking stick and
swung it like Babe Ruth trying for a homerun and hit it in the head. The cat
then took off and left her alone. Lesson is....don't run....stand your ground.
GeoZay