[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) RA & Dec

Earl,

     I had quite a bit of trouble nailing this down myself, I think I've
got it. The way I went about it was to use a book with detailed maps of the
sky.  Polaris is at Dec +90, and all the RA lines converge at this point.
RA 0 goes out right by cassiopia and the eastern part of Pegasus (if memory
serves me correctly) and increases as you "go east" in the sky. Try looking
at a star map while you look at the stars. (by the way, everyone else uses
Hrs & Min, 1 Hr = 15 degrees, 6 Hr = 90, 12 Hr = 180 etc) I started at a
point close to RA 0 degrees, found various landmarks at RA 0,90,180,270,
then went back to my book (converted back to Hr, Min) and found the dec. of
the "landmark" I had chosen.  After a short evening of picking out
landmarks (skymarks?), trying to find them in my sky atlas, figuring out
thier Ra & Dec, making a handful of notes on a full sky map, and just
basically playing around with it while actually looking at the stars, I
became somewhat proficient at estimating an objects RA & Dec. It takes a
bit of practice and the only way I would be sure about  a "precise"  point
would be to go back to the sky atlas,  match a point in the sky with a
point in the atlas and convert the exact measurement from one to the other.
      I hope that some of this made sense or helped to give you an idea of
how to work with it anyways.

Good Luck,
John Newton

"Cook, Earl" <ecook@AEGONUSA.com> on 08/17/98 02:11:50 PM