[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARCHIVE RESEND Re: (meteorobs) Fireball reporting (was Re: Fireball on 12/13)

Hi Lew,

>Just a short note on this, Pierre - the IMO's Fireball Data Center (FIDAC)
>considers anything with a ZENITH magnitude of -3 as being a fireball
>worthy of an official report. If you see any meteors of apparent magnitude -3
>(or even -2 or -1 if close enough to the horizon!), and do not consider them
>worthy of a report to MIAC, please report them to FIDAC via their Web form:
>        http://www.imodot net/fireball/report.html

Thanks Lew. I'll keep this in mind. In the past years, I have never
bothered filling an individual fireball report, not realizing how important
this data is! I want to fill those forms more often now as I see fireballs.  I
have two questions:

Should I report every zenith -3 meteor (or brighter) I see, regardless of
whether they are shower member or SPO?? I always had the feeling a SPO fireball
is more important for a FIDAC report.

>(BTW, I believe MIAC also forwards all reports they receive to FIDAC!)
>Clear skies and MANY fireballs! :)

We'll keep an eye out for 'em.

Pierre