[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RA/DEC

Thanks to everyone who helped me understand the concept
of Right Ascension and Declination. Boy, you guys sure make
things easy.

What had me confused was "perception". I kept thinking that
it should be easy since it was related to latitude and longitude;
but, what I missed was so simple. If I want to go to another
latitude/longitude here on earth, I HAVE TO GET UP AND
MOVE, DRIVE, FLY, etc. Or at least, move my finger
around on a map. But with RA/DEC, since I am fixed and
the celestial sphere is moving, all I have to do is stand still
and wait until the point comes by.

The measurements in hrs,min,sec for RA got me confused
because I thought I had to relate it to my time here (well,
maybe sometimes I do just a little bit), but once you
explained that it really is DEGREES from the equinox,
it finally came clear that the points stay the same place in
the sky and I just have to wait on them to come by. Sorta
like being in a space capsule watching the earth go by
while looking for a specific lat/long.

Am I on the right track here? If so, I'll breath a sigh of
relief and start plotting some points that I can memorize
for reference (as was suggested.)

Thanks again, folks.

RGDS:EARL