[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd Re: Phaeton directly imaged or spectrographed?

>The mention of "Phaeton's inferior position" reminded me of something else I
>wanted to ask about - solar transit events. Anyone have software for
>predicting these? I think it would be very interesting to see the transit of
>a minor planet. Would there be any scientific value?

The value would be the possible explanation of the planet Vulcan (not the
Star Trek planet) that was "discovered" by Lescarbault (sp?) around the
mid-19th century and "proven" by Leverrier a few years later. It was found
while transiting the sun. No further transits were proven and nothing
convincing was ever found during solar eclipses.

Gary