[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Obs. LANMA 15/16, 18/19 and 19/20 Aug

Marco>>Like our Descanso friends, we also observe amidst sheeps (but the
closest
thing to a mountain lion is the kitten of the Appel family, that jumps on
your sleeping bag at night, falling asleep in your leap making purring
sounds...). These creatures make strange noises at night... One of the
sheep has a cough that rivals that of a cigarette addict. Others make
even weirder sounds.... Strange animals!<<

Yes...that's the sound alright for sheep. Kinda reminds me of Joe Camel.  :o)

Marco>>No firebals allas. In fact, both Koen and I haven't seen a true
fireball
(i.e. brighter than -4) this year so far, nothwithstanding some 70 hours
(Koen) respectively 37 hours (me) observing so far.
Below my data of last nights. I have now logged 628 meteors in 37.32
hours effective over 18 nights this year.<<

My fireball tally so far this year is 14. That's from -3 to about -6 I think?
Can't remember right off hand if I seen anything brighter than that or not?
Yours and Koen's hour rates are impressive. You guys are catching up with me
...along with Pierre.

I'm preparing to start an extensive observing campaign with tonight. Hopefully
by Sep 2nd I should log about 8 to 10 observing nites. I've been wanting to
plot the last half of August somewhat thoroughly. Usually after the Perseids,
the last of August gets ignored. I also want to watch for the alpha Aurigids.

I just developed 4 rolls of film...still got two more to develop. Apparently
I've caught at least two meteors on my guided cameras. Nothing impressive
though. I haven't given the negatives a good going over yet...they are drying
right now. But I suspect they most likely are Perseids.
George Zay