[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) How do you find the time

> Subject:       Re: (meteorobs) meteor observations aug 20/21 ZAYG

Hi Bill!!

> Alright, alright.   Please George, Pierre, Mark, and all youse other guys
> and gals who report all these sightings.  When do you sleep, how do you
> hold down a 9 to 5, or in my case a 3-11pm job while you are logging 6
> hour teffs for nights in a row?

I know that it can seem impossible to do , but the main thing to
remember is not the number of teff hours you can put in for none
night, but what is good for you.  Right now there are some showers
that are very low in numbers and in order to see any you need to stay
up for a bit.  In your case if you get off at 11, then come home, and
go out observing for a few hours, get yourself use to it.  Observe
from 12 to 2 or 2:30 am. Take your time, and enjoy yourself. Its not
a game of who can get the most teff hours, but what you can do for
yourself and enjoy it at the same time. You can collect data in 2
hours as well as 6.

> 	I notice some of you, like Pierre, George, etc. have affiliations
> with observatories and astr0logical organizations.  Are these you're jobs?
                                         ********

Some people might get upset, we have affiliations with astronomical
organizations. Astrological is the use of the stars for palm readings
and fortune telling, we do not do that. We use the stars as a map on
the sky to find our radiants and constelations.

I am still a relative newbie, and only do a few hours a night Bill. I
will lie down around 10:00 pm and get up 1:30 to 2:00 am and observe
for a few hours and go back in for an hour for a nap before work.

If on the weekends or time off I can observe more that is great. But
since I work and have an active home life, its important to make a
balance.

I do like the idea of what Wayne Hally had for observations for a
year. He stated at one get together, that he uses a goal of 50 hours
a year for a serious observer ( one who collects data and sends it
in). That is just over 4 hours a month. This is rather doable. Of
course we on the Eastern coast have lots of clouds to deal with, and
it is tough at times to get 4 hours in a month.

I did more hours because of the Persied shower, and I wanted to see
for myself the rate of showers on the day before, day of and day
after the shower peak.  Yes, I did find a difference, but have not
put everything on paper yet, but I am working on it. Mark Davis, this
should be coming your way soon.

Just remember Bill, do what you can. Do not over extend yourself,
because if you are over tired, what you see may not be truely
accurate.

If you have any other questions, and if I did not answer it correctly
or you would like a further explaination, via private email, my email
address is kimhay@kingstondot net

Take care and clear skies, ours are under major thunderstorms this
morning......

Kim
Moonlight Cascade Observatory/BBS
44.28.28.9N 76.29.45.9W
Astronomy-RASC,SARA,ALPO/AAVSO-Solar Section
NAMN-Meteor Observing,Ham Radio-VA3KDH