[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations...Teff, LM, efforts etc

Kim posted a message that I no longer have available  in reference to Teff
Observing hour accumulations. I agree that it is not very productive to
observe while exhausted, under a bright moon or observing conditions that
gives you a Limiting Magnitude that is less than 5.0, and for periods that are
less than one hour. Rainer Arlt who assimilates the visual reports for IMO has
in the past stated that reports with an LM of less than 5.0 will not be
entered into the visual database. The occurrence of a major shower under such
conditions may be an exception. He also stated that if you submit a report
with less than 5 meteors for the whole observing night, it won't be utilized.
So find a place that will give you an LM of greater than 5.0 when you observe.
You might have to drive a long ways to find such a place. A lot of us serious
observers do just that. I drive 35 miles to get to my observing location and
another 35 to get home to rest. I know lunsford who often observes with me
will drive routinely further than that. It takes him anywheres between 45
minutes to one hour to get to the Descanso observing site. There are some
nights that I will drive over the mountains and into the desert near Yuma,
Arizona to find a good observing location if it clouds up at the Descanso
site. This is often a 3 hour drive one way. This is nothing compared to some
of our friends in Europe who have driven 500 miles to find clear skies during
a major shower. So when someone accumulates a healthy tally of Teff hours or
Days of effort or data on a few thousand meteors, They've earned the right to
proudly announce their accumulative totals.But on the other hand, I have
noticed individuals in the past who will observe with LM's of 3.4 to 4.0 on a
frequent basis during a full moon with no major shower activity occuring. It
has become apparent that their goal is to accumulate hours for recognition. An
experienced observer will learn how to pace themselves for the long observing
periods. That's why I insist on a 2 to 4 hour nap at my observing site
immediately prior to observations.  This really helps to keep me going. I
don't begin at sunset, because I know I won't effectively last the whole night
if I do. I start about 10 pm during the Summer months and 11 pm during the
winter months. During the winter months, this often allows me to get about 5
hours of sleep immediately before observing. You will need these 5 hours
because meteor activity is very slow after mid January and often cold and
exhaustive. Nights of major showers also dictates when I will be observing.
That is when the radiant rises. The more active the shower, I find it easier
to stay alert. It's the dead periods that will drain you. The best thing I do
that keeps me alert is  to get up and walk around every half hour for about a
minute or two. I do this when I tend  my cameras. I advance the film, make
polar alignment etc...which takes anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes on average. I
subtract this time as "Dead Time" from my observing totals. I find this
getting up and moving around very helpful for the entire night. I know most
folks here live in areas where the weather isn't very cooperative. Very
frustrating I know. So when you find a clear and moonless night...
particularly when you don't have to work the next day, I recommend making the
most of it. Instead of observing for the half hour or even just an hour or
two, Go for the whole night. If you have to, take a short nap break of a half
hour or even an hour in the middle of your observing night. Be sure to set an
alarm clock though, or you will wake up with the chirping birds and the sun
shining in your face. Also to make the most of your observing efforts, I
recommend learning how to plot as soon as you can. You will learn the stars
and constellations in a hurry when you do. Your mind will be active which also
helps to stay awake and alert during the slow periods. As to when you can
observe? I have a firemans work schedule that allows me several potential days
per month where I can observe and not interfer with work and still leave time
for the family. My days off don't match the moon cycle. It's very frustrating
to have 4 days off in a row and it's right smack dab in the middle of a full
moon period. I schedule my observing days ahead of time. If the moon isn't due
to set until midnight, I will sleep just a little bit longer because of this
and have less Teff hours for the night. If you work a job that allows you two
days off in a row each week, you will have just as many potential observing
nights as I will with my schedule. You will have to plan your observing nites
along with family time and other activities. You will also lose out due to
moon and weather. Again, some planning can be done here. You know when the
moon will rise/set and roughly how bright. You can plan around the moon
phases..dot it's the weather that is the wild card. What you don't see in my Teff
totals is the number of nights that I showed up at the observatory, set
everything up and watch the skies deterioate before I even get to start around
10 pm. My dog is thrilled to see me come home around midnight with these
aborted efforts.  I often find the weather forecasters way off and make my own
successful interpretatons of the nights weather. Well...enough rambling
here... I hope this helps some of the newbies with making their observations
useful and doable?
George Zay