[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observations...Teff, LM, efforts etc

George Zay writes:
>I agree that it is not very productive to observe while exhausted,
>under a bright moon or observing conditions that gives you a Limiting
>Magnitude that is less than 5.0, and for periods that are less than
>one hour. [...] Well, enough rambling here... I hope this helps some
>of the newbies with making their observations useful and doable?

I know it will, George! And braving mountain lions as you do, DESPITE your unusually good weather and flexible schedule, I think you've "earned the right to proudly announce your cumulative totals". ;>

We may need to add a new correction to your data though - say "MLF" (Mountain Lion Factor), to match our "SF" (Skunk Factor) back East. :))

One thing to clarify again though (from my own understanding) - moonlight should NOT keep folks from observing, so long as they can reliably gain Limiting Magnitude 5.0 or better.

Until IMO begins correcting data directly for moonlight effects (like some Russian and other meteoricists do), the mere presence of the moon should not be a factor for IMO observers - or should it?

Clear (dark and lionfree) skies!
Lew Gramer