[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observations...Teff, LM, efforts etc

Howdy, Kenya, you ask a mighty good question! And one that I'm not sure anyone
but another woman can really answer. But I know there are a number of women
among us who are active observers - so it really is possible!

I know from my own (different) experiences I tend to feel LESS safe observing
close to a city... My only truly heart-pounding moments observing occurred when
I used to set up just ten minutes from home, in a public park known to local
teenagers (and other denizens) as a hangout.

When I observe in wilderness - meaning far away from towns - the only animals I
fear are skunks, and the only people I usually fear are hunters (mostly for
trigger-happiness). Still, safety IS in my mind while I'm on the lawn chair.
The only spot where I DON'T worry is the MIT Observatory - I get several visits
nightly from the friendly security guards there. :)

One thing to keep in mind while meteor observing: *you* are lying quiet, in a
dark field or lot. Your ears are alert, and your eyes are VERY dark adapted.
For an assailant to sneak up on you, they'd have to be either a wild predator
(like a mountain lion!) or a Night Kommando...

I hope this helps. But if not, I'm sure you'll hear from other women on the
list! Take care, and clear skies,

Lew Gramer