[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Daylight Meteor

Hey Charlie.  I received your e-mail at home and failed to forward the
message to work.  I am curious about your *daylight meteor.  If I remember
your message correctly you said that the time was about 8:36 a.m.  It is
important to know which direction were you looking when you saw the meteor
and did this happen this summer?

There is a story that one of our club members likes to tell about meteor.
One night while observing he saw a very bright meteor and from its angle was
very sure that it landed near, within a few miles, of his observing site.
He made note of his location and the time he saw the meteor and then he drew
a sketch of the landmarks on the horizon so that he could locate the meteor.
A couple of days later he found out that indeed the meteor had hit but it
was hundreds of mile away.

I guess what I am getting at is that it is very easy to misjudge distances
when the objects your viewing are in the upper atmosphere.  If it had been
near you, you would have heard the meteor also.

Take care,
Wesley Phillips