[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observations...Teff, LM, efforts etc

Keny<<
 Another question to all of you old folks, though - do you go out to
 observe by yourself, or do you con friends and loved ones into going along
 with you? <<

I personally observe by myself if no one else wants to come along. I don't
really actively search for co observers. Robert Lunsford observes with me
about half the time. The other half I am alone. Bob also sometimes observes
out there at the Descanso observing site with out me. It's a hit and miss
situation. I enjoy Bob's company if he can make it, but I will still go if he
can't make it. My wife has no desire in the meteor stuff. My oldest girl likes
it to some extent. I suspect it's one of those things that when she gets over
with the "boy" phase, she will most likely tend to want to observe on her own.
She has done it in the past with me and seemed enthusiastic. She knows how to
do it. She has also monitored meteors with the fm radio for several days  and
made a Science Project out of it when she was in the 8th grade. In all, I
seldom am able to con other's to come out and observe with me. Bob and
sometimes Joseph Ausmus are the only other "fools" who will join me up there
on occasions.

 Kenya>>As a female, I'm a bit reticent about going out alone to
 observe, and since I live in the Denver metro area, I need to drive a
 minimum of 45 minutes to get to an even halfways decent spot - and even
 then, a good ten degrees is cut out of the western sky due to light
 pollution.  Do you think it would be safe for me to observe alone, or
 should I definitely try to take people along with me when I go? <<

Being female does have it's problems if you are out in the "sticks" alone. My
wife is a very capable person out in the woods. Still there are the number of
crazy's out there that would make me feel uncomfortable knowing that she was
alone. I insist that she back packs with other people. There are indeed safety
in numbers. I personally think you should find someone else interested to go
out with you. You might want to make it camping trip where the other person
will be sleeping in the tent, but you can observe outside if they don't want
to observe.

 Kenya>>And do
 you all feel safe when you're out there observing?  From humans, animals,
 that kind of thing.

Ohhhh...sometimes there are the spooky moments, but most of the time it's your
imagination magnifying harmless sounds. Just stay alert to the potential.
George Zay