[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing buddies...

Kenya asked -
>Another question to all of you old folks, though - do you go out to
>observe by yourself, or do you con friends and loved ones into going along
>with you?  As a female, I'm a bit reticent about going out alone to
>observe,

And Lew replied -
>Howdy, Kenya, you ask a mighty good question! And one that I'm not sure anyone
>but another woman can really answer. But I know there are a number of women
>among us who are active observers - so it really is possible!

Couple points here... and by the way, you can skip the 'old folks'
reference!  Actually, a lot of the following points apply to both guys <and>
gals.  Reminds me of a true story out in British Columbia.  A guy went
observing, and decided to cut back across a field to his car when he was
done for the night.  He didn't notice a steer in the field... and got gored
very badly in a very tender spot.  He managed to get back through the fence,
then collapsed... and had to drag himself quite a distance before anybody
noticed his frantic waves for help.  It was 2 days later before somebody
found him and took him to hospital...

There are a number of advantages to <not> going out alone, such as:

- somebody to carpool with
- somebody to send for help if your car breaks down (but keep all kinds of
emergency gear with you just in case)
- somebody to help you out if <you> have a problem
- somebody to talk to all night long
- somebody to scare away the wildlife

>One thing to keep in mind while meteor observing: *you* are lying quiet, in a
>dark field or lot. Your ears are alert, and your eyes are VERY dark adapted.

Closest I came to wildlife was a wolf one night.... I saw him, he didn't see
me.  I was determined to keep observing... but my concentration was somewhat
diminished! ;>

>I hope this helps. But if not, I'm sure you'll hear from other women on the
>list!

Thanks, Lew! ;>  I have observed on my own before, including winter nights
at cooler than -20C.  However, I take precautions:

- I have my emergency car phone with me
- I take all possible emergency survival gear with me in my car
- I always tell somebody where I'm going, so they will be alerted if I don't
return
- I take a radio to listen to
- I turn it up loud if I want to scare off possible wildlife
- I don't take a lot of food that might attract wildlife
- I back my lawnchair right up to my car.. so nothing can sneak up on me
from behind
- I try to observe in a relatively safe place.. like a field behind a
friend's place in the country, or a farmer's field that has been checked out
with the farmer.

Hope these suggestions help...

- Cathy
Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RASC, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Kingston Centre
NYAA, North York Astronomical Association