[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Observations Aug 27/28 ZAYGE

Had a good, clear observing nite again last night from my Descanso, Calif.
observing site. Started a little later due to moon setting a little later.
Began at 22h45 PST and ended at 5:05am. After subtracting Plotting and Camera
time, I should have a Teff around 5.5 hours. LM was around 6.0 all nite. No
clouds to deal with this time. The first hour was very dead...only plotted two
meteors, both N. Iota Aquarids. The next hour wasn't much of a boomer either,
but it increased to 5. Rates steadily increased as the morning wore on. The
last hour I had about 13 to 15. Dependent upon where the period begins after I
subtract dead time. Anyhow, only two showers of any import to look at....The
N. Iota Aquarids and the alpha Aurigids. I recorded both with 6 each. the
remainder 35 were sporadics. The brightest for the night were a pair of -2
sporadics. I might have captured one of them on film. I might have caught a -1
on film also. They shouldn't look like anything to write home to mom about if
they were caught in one of the two camera's with wide angle lens. But if they
get snagged in my 50mm f/1.4 lens they might look good?

Thinking about staying home tonight. Got a few other things I want to
do...like going fishing even if my daughter won't be able to make it with me
this time. I plan on watching a few hours of the alpha Aurigid peak this
monday/tuesday night. That will probably be my last observation for this
month. Then I will concentrate on developing some film and making some prints.
George Zay