[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARCHIVE RESEND Re: (meteorobs) Radio observing

[Doggone Web archiver is acting up!!! Forgive multiple reposts -Lew]

Paul Haworth wrote:
>I've recently set up an extremely primitive radio receiver which has the
>potential to be quite an efficient cloudy-weather / daylight meteor
>detector, using forward scatter technique.
>I was wondering if anyone has had any expreience with this and could
>advise me on suitable frequencies to operate at.  Initially I'm thinking
>somewhere between 20 and 90MHz, but would it work at something like 151?
>Then it could double up for solar work.

Paul,

You might want to study forward scatter FAQ documents at the IMO, NAMN websites
and elsewhere. (Sorry, don't have their website addresses.)  There is a common
forward scatter method using FM commercial radio stations that works well for
monitoring meteors if you monitor from a suitable location.

But... FM forward scatter won't let you record for solar activity.

There is a technique of monitoring AM tv carrier waves at lower than 80 MHz
which is a very fine method and will also let you capture solar emissions.

Meteor activity makes stronger reflections at MHz frequencies below 100
MHz, down to 50 MHz (or so).

Reflections are fewer and much more feeble up at 151 MHz.

I don't know if the AMS radiometer project still monitors this list but
they would be good folks to ask.

Good luck,
Tom Ashcraft