[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) the lowly Orionids

In a message dated 8/27/98 10:17:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Bookworm2k@aol.com writes:

<<
 I'd like to know as well.  I plan to watch these with my son, who is 6, if we
 can.  Orion is our favorite constellation and never fails to catch his eye.

 bookworm2k from Indiana >>

Good luck in keeping your son awake at that hour. I remember in the past on
occasions  having my daughter with me to watch some active shower. She would
fall asleep before anything gets started. I would always prepare a cot inside
the observatory just for that occasion...and it never fails she ends up using
it. You are better off trying to start off kids with an earlier rising major
shower such as the Perseids and Geminids. You can probably get their attention
with this years Leonids starting about 11 pm. Its activity should impress them
even if there is no storm for the U.S. The Orionids have such low activity to
hold the interest of most folks, yet alone kids. I think if you make them nap
in the early evening you might stand a chance of them being awake long enough
to see something later.
GeoZay