[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio observing

Dear Norman,

Sorry for the small delay in getting back to you; I was away for a
couple of days.

The system I am using is VERY primitive indeed.  It is similar to one
detailed in Gerald North's book 'Advanced Amateur Astronomy' (which,
incidently, I would recommend as a very good general astronomy book for
intermediate level amateurs).

Essentially I have a 22 inch square reflector earthed via the outer
shield of a co-ax cable.  12 inches above this reflector is a 66 inch
circumference wire loop; at one end this is not electrically connected
to anything and at the other it is connected to the aerial field on a
short wave / marine band / air band radio set via the co-ax core cable.
The reflector and loop can be moved to point at most areas of the sky.
The receiver is nothing special at all; it is not of particularly good
quality, and is even available in a number of high street department
stores.  The recoding method I use is simply manually recording
variations in the audio output.

Considering the system was made using mainly scrap materials (I only had
to spend about #1.50 as I had the receiver lying around at home), it
seems to perform quite well at detecting emission from the Sun.  Now I
wish to adjust it for radiometeor work.

I am currently studying Jim Richardson's lengthy radiometeor paper, and
any advice you could give, Norman, would be most welcome.

Clear skies,
Paul.

> Paul
>  Tell us more about your receiver and antenna. I use a IC7000 and a 3
>element beam aimed up 45 deg. Feed that to a computer sound card and
fftdsp
>software. Take a look at http:\\www.directcondot net\normd\meteor.htm.
Your