[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Night Vision Goggles

The recent 'meteorobs' thread on using Night Vision goggles to do naked-eye
observing has been an interesting one so far!

I just wanted to interject to say that image intensifiers with the right
characteristics definitely CAN enhance limiting magnitudes circumstances... I
know this because the "standard" Meteor Video installation, advocated by both
the IMO and various professional researchers, actually consists of a standard
camcorder, a simple lens (50mm, 28mm, fisheye, etc), and one Generation II
non-distorting image intensifier! :)

Also, at the most recent Summer Star Party in the Berkshire Mountains of
Western Massachusetts, I actually had the pleasure of looking through an "Image
Intensifier Eyepiece" on a 20" f/6.5 telescope. The II has definite advantages
for viewing certain types of objects. However, the constant field motion or
"electronic scintillation", coupled with the distortion and greenish light
destroying your dark adaptation, can also be a big distraction from viewing
fine details in many objects.

This makes two cross-posts between IAAC and 'meteorobs' in a week! :) Note that
a "cross-post" is a mail message sent to more than one mailing list! When you
respond to a "cross-post", **be sure** ALL the email addresses the original was
sent to also end up in the "To:" or "Cc:" lines of your response! Otherwise you
may end up talking to yourself. ;>

Clear (and deep) skies all!
Lew Gramer