[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing Aurigid attempt

Well....I got up just before midnight thinking that it might be clear up in
the mountains at my observing site. Welll...I was wrong. It was
cloudy...smokey from a nearby brush fire etc. As I drove the first 15 miles, I
began to see several lightning bolts to the east....the direction I was
heading. By the time I got to Harbison Canyon enroute I was a red glow over
lake jennings...an apparent large brush fire. Ash was falling all over the
place. At first I thought it was bugs attracted to my headlights...but nothing
was splatting on my windshield. Then the lightning appear more ominous. It
looked like it was right over my observing site. I said the heck with it and
turned around. The air was quite hot in the El Cajon area...what miserable
sleeping weather. Glad to get home...at least the temps are near normal a few
miles from there. Looks like the wife will be happy to see me home all fresh
as a daisy in the morning. She's bound to have a list of "honey do's" for me
at sunrise. Looks like all there's left for my vacation is another fishing
trip with the wife out in the ocean.
GeoZay