[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) AUR max night a success: Also DAU outburst?!

Hi Lew!

>Certainly the most surprising event of the evening for me though were the
>large number of apparent *Delta Aurigids* (DAUs) noted - 5! This is
>extraordinary for two reasons: first, DAUs do not peak until Sept 8/9, and
>then produce a ZHR of no more than 6. Second, they are not even considered
>*active* by IMO until September 5! Unfortunately Steve and I were
>describing meteors ("counting") rather than plotting; however, my Center
>of Field was chosen to give me an excellent angle for distinguishing DAUs
>from either the Alpha Aurigids or any possible Perseid stragglers. I'd be
>curious to hear if others saw any indications of this activity?

My attempt for an Aurigid observation in my brand new (but small sized)
backyard failed last night. The skies were good early, but patchy
cirro-cumulus arrived after midnight just as I was setting up.
Instead, I just lied down on the chair for some time, to evaluate
my new site, observe casually and catch a couple meteors between clouds.

The space between the house and the backyard fence is much tighter than I
thought. Also, a large tree, perhaps 30 deg over the east. I believe I
might
manage to center my field about 60-70 deg facing south and have minimum
obstruction. I get a little over 80 deg of vertical clearance between the
house (north near zenith) down to the fence and trees.

Having said that, is my site acceptable or will I need to add an
obstruction
correction factor all the time?

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *