[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARCHIVE RESEND Re: (meteorobs) early morning activity?

[Doggone it! :(   -Lew]

At 09:02 PM 8/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>Would anyone know why I observed so many meteors passing through an area
>>between Triangulum and Aries on the night of Aug. 25/26 from approx.
>>06:30UT to 06:55UT ?
>
>Could you please describe the meteor's velocities and where they seemed to
>originate? Were the meteors very fast and trained, much like the Perseids
>or slower?

Pierre,

I saw approx. 4-6 meteors that night which all seemed to be coming from the
same general area of Triangulum, Aries, or maybe Pisces. I know that sounds
pretty vague. I could not pin-point the exact location of their origin due
to my house partially blocking the view to the South. The most interesting
thing I did notice though, was that they all seemed to be following the
same trajectory/path through the sky. Many of them ended just short of the
Alpha-Persei association in Perseus. Many of them seemed to trace back to
the Triangulum/Aries region of the sky. I logged them as Sporadics, since I
was not sure myself of their origin.

I assigned them speeds of approx. 3 on a 0-5 scale since they were all
nearly medium in speed. Many were trained but not very pronounced though.

It seemed like an unusual amount of activity for just Sporadics.

Thanks,
Mark Mikutis
E-mail: perseus1@pcpartnerdot net