[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) early morning activity?

Hi Kim!

>Which radiant is this? I was out at Careleston Lake last night
>helping the Kingston Centre with Terry Dickinson's talk. Through the
>magnificant aurora we seen last night there were several meteors
>before midnight. Most were sporadics and 1 Persied, but I was not
>counting. I had people lined up to the scope for over 1.5 hours
>looking at the moon, then Jupiter.
>
>I got a chance to look through a 25 inch Obsession Dob at M13, Wow.
>What really blew me away was a set of 10 x 50 bino's on the Coat
>Hanger.
>
>I am interested in what the radiant is.
>
>Kim

Sorry for the late response. I just reconnected my computer here after
moving this past weekend. The radiant I was referring to was the
Pi Eridanids. I am trying to verify their presence, which I apparently
observed the last couple of years. The meteors from this shower are active
between August 20 to September 5. They reach peak on August 27. The
radiant
at max. is at 03:28 -15. Meteors from this shower are very fast with
velocities of 59 kilometers/second. They are best viewed in the early
morning before dawn. I went back in my past observations and here are
the results (only ERI are included, other activity disregarded here).
No clouds (or below 5% clouds) for all these nights:

1998 (results coming soon)

1997        teff
Aug 25/26   0.98    1 ERI

1996        teff
Aug 14/15   5.76    4 ERI
Aug 17/18   2.37    1 ERI
Aug 18/19   6.23    5 ERI
Aug 19/20   6.15    9 ERI

1995        teff
Aug 24/25   2.0     5 ERI
Aug 27/28   3.13    2 ERI
Aug 29/30   2.45    none
Aug 31/1    2.75    3 ERI

teff is effective observing time (hours).

                                .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                  . . *  . *  .  .
***************************** . . . \   | .  .
Ottawa Valley Observers Group  .  .    .  .   . .
Visual meteor observer          .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa, Ontario, CAN              . .   . .  .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca           /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                     .  |    .
National Aviation Museum                |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                 *  . \
                                               *