[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) hearing meteors impacting the atmosphere

>Kevin,
>I lost my original message you posted about detecting meteors with a
length of
>electrical conduit tubing. Anyhow, I find the idea intriguing. Can you
tell me
>if anyone else has done this before you and if so, how successful were they?
>Does the conduit have to be suspended from the air or can it be laid out on
>the ground? How long of a piece of  conduit is needed? Does it have to be
>straight or can it be spiraled or anyother shape? Does it have to be plastic
>or metallic? Would a few lengths of PVC water sprinkler tubing glued together
>work just as well? I'd be interested in hearing anything else you have on
>this?
>George Zay

I'll leave it to Kevin to describe his setup (I do remember his original
posting and description, though). But George's questions just wriggled my
own antennae: hey Lew, we could have something like this permanently
erected at the Boston ATM, couldn't we? Have places at the bottom of the
tube for observers to attach their recorder mikes. For that matter, maybe
even a simple dipole antenna for the FM broadcast band for simultaneous
radio observations with the visuals? And maybe a receiver can be donated,
kept in the house...

Do the skies ever clear at night in New England? Stay tuned and find out...

SteveH
Shrewsbury, Mass